Grassrootsy was created back in November 2008 by Joy Ike. Simply put, it’s a marketing blog written specifically for independent artists and bands. After playing hundreds of gigs, we kept noticing a trend: musicians don’t know how to promote themselves. It’s frustrating because, for the most part, musicians are broke and can’t hire people to do the marketing for them! So we created this blog.
The task of self marketing, fanbase building, social networking, and show promotion can seem daunting. It’s easy to do nothing and pretend like these things don’t matter. But…they do. This blog exists to help you, the artist, help yourself.
Grassrootsy offers very simple, practical, step-by-step explanations and tips on what you can do to really make a dent in your world. Believe it, we really spell things out. We’re not going for the big picture here. We’re going for the small details – the things that seem insignificant in and of themselves, but really pay off in the long run.
We don’t really do much here except write good articles and hope that you’ll read them, follow through, and share them with friends. We’ve been asked countless times if we do PR work. Not yet. But perhaps that will change in the future.
In any case, if you’re an artist who wants some real-life applicable tips for making this music thing work, then you’re in the right place!
GRASSROOTSY DOES NOT
- do album reviews, show reviews, or band features. please don’t pitch us. please!
- promote your band, your show show, your CD release or event…but we regularly retweet artist posts if you’re following us on twitter
- Answer your question. Send us a question for our regular Ask Grassrootsy segment.
- Like artists who are doing creative things with their promotion. We feature artists all the time when their innovative ideas fit appropriately into the topic of a blog.
- WANT TO HELP AS MANY ARTISTS, INDEPENDENT THINKERS, AND ENTREPRENEURS AS POSSIBLE DO WHAT THEY DO BETTER. So please read what we write and pass it on to your peers.
- Welcome guest writers. We LOVE our guest writers. There are quite a few of them at this point and we often prefer their posts to ours. If you’ve got an original idea or article that you think would be perfect for this blog, let us know. We’ll consider it.
- Appreciate advertisers. Keeping this blog going is a true labor of love. It means the world when you support us! (see right sidebar for advertisers). Contact us for a rate card.
- Accept topics suggestion for this blog. Here are our Submission Guidelines.